When you are a real estate agent building your website, you want it to be as user-friendly as possible. One way to do this is by adding an IDX map search that allows your visitors to search MLS data and find homes by visually searching neighborhoods and areas of interest.
This can be a stressful endeavor, but there is a way to make it easier. Have you heard about the benefits of using SimplyRETS’ WordPress IDX map search shortcode? This powerful tool is vital for real estate agents and businesses who want to optimize their visibility online. It allows those in the real estate market to easily find listings, showcase properties, and automate their workflow. Let’s look at how to set up a RETS or RESO Web API feed and integrate SimplyRETS on your website so you can utilize the best IDX plugin for WordPress.
What is an IDX Plugin for WordPress?
An IDX plugin is a type of software that integrates with your website to allow visitors to search through your MLS listings. The “IDX” stands for Internet Data Exchange, which refers to the cooperation between brokers for displaying their Multiple Listing Service (MLS) listings online. An IDX plugin gives users access to this data so they can easily perform searches on your website. The SimplyRETS WordPress plugin specializes in this service, so you don’t have to fuss with coding or mess around on the back end of your website.
What are RETS and RESO Web API and How Do they Work?
RETS stands for Real Estate Transaction Standard, which is a protocol used by brokers and agents to share listing information among multiple software systems. It provides a secure way of transferring large amounts of data from one system or database to another. RESO Web API is a new and modernized standard for these types of systems.
Before you can set up an IDX plugin on your website, you need authorization to access an MLS server via RETS or RESO Web API. Once you do have access, you will be able to display and search MLS listing details on your website. Integrating these MLS data feeds yourself can be difficult and tedious, and require a large amount of developer resources. Using the best IDX plugin for WordPress will ensure a simple and successful implementation that anyone can do.
How to Install the Best IDX Plugin for WordPress
Now that we understand why we need an IDX plugin, and what RETS and RESO Web API are used for, let’s jump into how you can get started with installing the SimplyRETS plugin onto your WordPress site. Here are four easy steps that will help you get started:
- Get Access to an MLS Feed: In order to start setting up your own WordPress website with an IDX plugin, you need access to an MLS data feed. Depending on the local MLS or board of REALTORS this may take some time, as some areas require more paperwork than others before granting access.
- Install the SimplyRETS WordPress Plugin: Now that you have access to the MLS data feed it’s time to install the chosen software onto your WordPress website. Be sure it’s compatible with whatever plugins or themes you may already have set up. SimplyRETS has the best IDX plugin for WordPress and we can help you every step of the way.
- Connect your MLS feed to SimplyRETS: With a data feed set up at the MLS, and the WordPress plugin installed on your site, you can connect your MLS data feed to your SimplyRETS account by creating an app in your SimplyRETS dashboard. This will sync the data with your account, giving your WordPress website access to the live MLS data.
- Add Shortcodes to Your Website: With your MLS data feed connected to SimplyRETS, you can start display IDX listings on your website by adding short-codes and widgets to the pages where you want to an interactive map search tool for your visitors.
Rules for Displaying Data on Your Website
Using the best IDX plugin for WordPress is an essential component of any successful real estate site. Once your IDX plugin is set up, you need to make sure that you stay compliant with the rules related to displaying MLS data. Be sure to familiarize yourself with your local MLS or board of REALTOTS requirements. There are a few common guidelines you can keep in mind:
- All MLS listings should credit their respective source (the MLS).
- The data should not be modified in any way.
- New listings should be refreshed on your site regularly. This is handled automatically with the SimplyRETS WordPress plugin.
The SimplyRETS IDX plugin offers several built-in features to maintain compliance with any rules and regulations you may encounter.
Using the WordPress IDX map search shortcode offers many advantages over traditional methods of searching through property listings online. Its ability to quickly reference listing data and search via geographical information makes it an incredibly useful tool for a real estate agent’s website visitors.
By following the steps outlined above, anybody can confidently install the best IDX Plugin for WordPress quickly. At SimplyRETS, we understand it can be nerve wracking to do this yourself, especially if you have no experience in web design. So, when you are ready to take your real estate website to the next level, contact SimplyRETS and we will help you get set up.